Friday, October 17, 2008

milestones

There are so many things that change as babies develop. Each new milestone seems so huge and life changing. Yes it is life changing to Ava, Keegan and me but really I am not so sure that others care that much about all the little things that seem so big. But you see it all happens so fast. I mean I really feel like time is just going ... i think of ava as my new little baby... and on wednesday of this past week she turned five months old. I feel like tomorrow i will be helping her fill out college applications.
The jogging stroller was a huge milestone. Yes to me it is a milestone. You see it is wonderful and makes me so happy. I try and time our walks or run with one of her naps. So I get to run or walk depending on my mood and she gets a fresh air nap (something that is important to me) I am sure the level of sleep might not me REM as much but it makes a much happier mommy. sounds a bit selfish but really i am a better mom. While we were in NC we did anywhere from 5-16 miles a day. And now Ava is right at home in the jogging stroller. I mean I still always have the baby bjorn in the pocket just in case but only once so far have I actually used it. So perhaps after smiling that has been the biggest milestone to change our day to day lives.
well until this morning
...
We decided to start introducing solids. They say to do this anywhere between 4 and 6 months although some people feel strongly one way or the other. At first I really wanted to wait until 6 months but the vitamins that the pediatrician suggested tasted like ass (i mean really.. i try everything she eats and i could barely stomach this and she had to do a whole ml.) so then i thought i would just skip them except lately Ava has been waking up and wanting to eat a lot in the middle of the night. So she is hungry. So it is time. We decided we would wait until we were back from our travels and this morning felt like a good morning. So dad and ava had breakfast together. here is the story:



starts with brown rice cereal (thanks Kathleen) and breast milk. it is 4 tbs breast milk to 1 of rice cereal... so it is very very runny
she sat in her new high chair for the first time
she was very interested and liked the airplane and games Keegan was playing with her. I think it is quite possible that Keegan was just as excited as Ava was.
hummm... this is fun
but i really like to chew on things... so how about i just eat the tray table.... i mean its a little milky .... what more could i want.

So milestones come and they seem huge. I mean after this morning i realized i was really sad. she is growing up. but it is also exciting and fun. she is becoming a little person and each day we see a bit more personality. and well the string between the two of us is getting longer and longer which feels good. Tomorrow I am going running with a friend, a class at the gym and to get a pedicure and keegan can deal. This is big cause let me just remind you that she will not take a bottle so i could really not get to far away from home.

1 comment:

WondersofMyWorld said...

Congrats on your cereal success! We make it a lot thicker now that he is used to it and it is much easier to feed.
Have fun on your day off! Sounds like fun!