Thursday, May 27, 2010

RUFUS

So yesterday afternoon I had a big swim team league meeting for all teams in the league in dallas. It was a crazy day already and so when Lacy the babysitter arrived I said poor Rufus has not had a walk, if you go outside let him go with you so that he can pee and sniff. He does this all the time with us... often outside playing with Ava and other kids. Sometimes he decides to go explore for max 5 mins and is waiting on doorstep without fail. The dog rarely leaves my side. Well last night was fail. I get a panicked text in my meeting from Lacy that they were all playing and it thundered and Rufus bolted to the Field behind our house. I was not really worried, I said keep checking doors he is prolly waiting out front. Well after 20 mins Keegan came home and searched but could not find him. Then Keegans sister Caitlin came to relieve Lacy (it was a mama long meeting) and she and Ava set out. By this point I think the whole neighborhood was looking for Rufus. I mean they all love him and know how important he is to our family. I got home around 11 and the neighbors needed to go to bed... but Keegan's dad and brother were still searching and ava and I set out on our quest... hoping that maybe he would come for me. No such luck. Finally I realized after crying so much and being so worried and listening to ava call "doodoo" and ask where he was and say that she wanted him that she had to go to bed... it was going on midnight. So i put her in bed only to hear her continue to call him. so sad. I was devastated and could not really sleep. Keegan got home at 230 and I was praying Rufus would be home with him but no. We sat up fearing the worst and making a game plan of animal shelter at 8:56am as they open at 9 and posters and continuing the search. I woke up every hour sick to my stomach thinking about his sweet soft ears and what a wonderful family member he was. I would get up and check both doors each time keeping fingers crossed. Finally at 555am the sun was up and I got up to check one more time..... not at back door. But... I opened the front door and in walks a very tired and scared rufus. At the time I could not tell how badly he was limping but walking funny. Ava woke up immediately despite being so dog tired and shouted doodoo..... and so he was home. We made him breakfast and snuggled him and then saw he was limping, I got a better look and he had worn off the pads on the bottom of his paws and had barely any toenails. His nails were bleeding. I put my favorite socks on him and waited for vet to open. Ava and I got him in the car and made it to the vet.... having barely gotten dressed and managing teeth brushing. But the vet thoroughly checked him over and said no broken bones or anything.... but the dog had run all night trying to find home...... so what started as thunder sent a disoriented rufus a couple towns over in fear and then confusion. After 12 hours of running he found his way home. Thank you God. He is sleeping now and has pain medicine and we are all so so so so thankful that he is home safely with us. could not have imagine loosing him and will nurse him back to his spunky athletic self.

No comments: