Saturday, July 31, 2010

ava loves to swim

so its crazy. I coach other kids to swim all summer and have taught lessons for years and grew up swimming but really did not know how to begin with ava so I did not. However, after going to a party a month ago where I did not bring a swim suit and she had to be in the shallow part of the pool by herself she lost her fear of water. By the end of the party the dads swimming were literally throwing ava back and forth like a football and she was diving getting rocks off the bottom of the pool. Of course this made Keegan crazy jealous that he was at work and missed it and that other dads were tossing her around. Truthfully I think he was somewhat sceptical as she cries when you wash her hair. So the next day we headed to his parents and she showed her tricks and how she went under happily. Over the last month she has been swimming tons, often with her gigi and pop pops who have told her to move her arms and kick and now she does and this past week I kid you not Keegan got her to dive. A real legitimate dive. We even took her to one of the last swim team practices and she proceeded to dive in off a starting block. I have tons of 5 year olds who cant do this. I can take no credit for this as I have just played with her and a few times wished she would wear floaties as her no fear at all generates quite a lot for me, however, she now lifts her head to breath and can get out of pool completely on her own as long as she gets close to the side. Its crazy to me and the cutest thing in the world. Yesterday she swam for 6 hours straight, eating a Popsicle in the pool but not stopping. Her eyes are still a little blood shot.

1 comment:

LBC said...

we need to take a long vacay and come see you so you can work some magic with Grant, hes a scardie-cat around water! maybe that'll be a priority next summer